- 1 lb Flour
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 8 oz Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 lb mixed Dried Fruit
- Grated rind of 1 Lemon
- 2 oz soft Brown Sugar
- 4 oz candied Peel
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 10 fl oz Guinness
- 3 Eggs (beaten)
- Sift the flour and spice together.
- Rub in the butter.
- Add the fruit, lemon rind, sugar and peel.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda completely in the Guinness. Stir in the eggs.
- Mix well with the other ingredients.
- Bake in a greasesd, lined tin (8 inch round, or 7 inch square or 2 lb loaf tin) at 170°C for about 1½ - 2 hours.
Note: Try to keep for a couple of weeks before cutting.